Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Do-Overs

This is something I wrote in August of 2008. Thought I would share...

I had lunch with Paula and Penny today, and Paula mentioned Do-Overs. Her reference was to the current two politicians running for the office of President of the United States of America. Can we just have a Do-Over? I tend to agree...

But I started thinking about Do-Overs in a different context. I always say that I have no regrets in life, and for the most part, that's true. But the concept of a Do-Over is actually quite appealing to me.

In school, kids scream for a Do-Over when there's interference, they don't understand the rules, or someone cheated. Or sometimes, just because they're losing.

So, in Life, if there were Do-Overs, here's what I would do over:

Interference. Now, that's a good idea. I would totally have called for a Do-Over when (1) that idiot ran the red light and totalled my car and (2) during my single days, my girlfriend spotted the cute guy before I did. Do-Over!

Not understanding the rules. Okay. This happens a lot. I would totally go back and call a Do-Over on these occasions: (1) agreeing to bake cookies for school without asking questions first - WHAT? 400 COOKIES BY TOMORROW MORNING?!?!, (2) chaperoning field trips without knowing where the class is going. The animal control facility? Uh, no. Wait, I didn't mean to sign that volunteer form. I thought it was a permission slip!, (3) marriage before the age of 40. Enough said. Do-Over.

Someone cheated. Um, hello husband number one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BING BING BING. We have a winner! BIG DO-OVER!

I'm losing. Oh, man. This could be a long list. I'm not a good loser. I'd call a Do-Over when: (1) I see that the ball is not going to drop on my number on the roulette table, (2) speeding up (just a little) to make it through a yellow light and the nice police officer turns his pretty lights on just for me (see "interference" above - i know. karma, huh?), (3) negotiations with my credit card company when I want my rate lowered and they won't do what I want them to. It's only 5% - what do they care? and (4) I'm playing video games with Mikey - he's so good at them! I would love to say, "Do-Over" and then restart the game. I'd love to win just once! Do-Over.

So, I still have no regrets.

Just a teensy little list of Do-Overs.

Luv-Luv

No comments: