Friday, June 15, 2007

Siegfried did what to Freud's mother's white lion?

Conversation over dinner tonight with my 21-year-old son Joel

me: I think that was a Freudian slip.

joel: Yeah.

me: Do you know what a Freudian slip is?

joel: Uh...I think so.

me: No, you don't. Do you know who it's named after?

joel: Yeah, that Freudian dude.

me: Yeah...?

joel: ... [blank look from across the dinner table]

me: Ever heard of Sigmund Freud?

joel: [after a slight pause] Didn't he have something to do with white tigers?

me: What are you talking about?

joel: White tigers. He used white tigers. [now uncertain] Or something...

me: ARE YOU REFERRING TO SIGFRIED & ROY??????? The performers?

Oh.my.damn. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. What makes it even funnier is that Joel started a web design firm last year. The name of it? PixelEnvy. I asked him a little while ago if he knew what the name of his business was a spin-off of. He did - and correctly answered "penis envy." But he had no idea that was another Freudian concept.

Must.re-educate.young.

No comments: